Friday, June 6, 2008

Griswold Anniversary!


Tomorrow is an historic day for women and their families. June 7th marks the 43rd anniversary of Griswold v. Connecticut. It was the landmark Supreme Court decision recognizing birth control as basic healthcare and that reproductive decisions are Constitutionally protected.

It’s hard for me to fathom a time when birth control wasn’t available. It’s even harder for me to imagine that this happened a mere 43 years ago.

Since the decision, countless women have benefited from the ability to make their own decisions about their reproductive health. Countless unplanned pregnancies have been prevented.

But, here is what is so very scary to me. Tomorrow, the American Action League and it’s supporters will be protesting the Griswold decision with their “the Pill Kills” campaign all across the country.
Are you kidding me? The pill kills? These are the very same people who are pushing to ban abortion in South Dakota and across the nation. These are the same people who want to see Roe overturned. If that’s not extreme enough for you, they’ve got their sites set on your birth control. They don’t want families to be able to decide for themselves when and whether they have children and how many.

What makes much more sense is to do everything we can to prevent those unintended pregnancies through better access to affordable birth control and comprehensive sex education.

I know I do not want these extremists making these decisions for me and my family. Do you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for birth control. Thank Heaven for birth control. I love birth control. How can someone actually be opposed to birth control? I just don't get it.