Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My First Live Action Camp

This Saturday, I have the opportunity to attend my very first Live Action Camp in Fargo, North Dakota. I have been looking forward to this experience for weeks now, ever since I was invited to attend it. This should be a great addition to my internship experience and I look forward to attending and helping out the North Dakota division of Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota.

This particular Live Action Camp is going to have a health care reform focus. There will be speakers to explain the background, the public-option proposal, and how Planned Parenthood’s priorities are affected or could be affected by health care reform. Then to top off the day, North Dakotans in attendance will be making calls to their congressman, documenting their own personal health care stories, and drafting potential letters to the editor.

I am looking forward to the speakers because even though I hear and receive a lot of information on health care reform, it still can be very confusing and overwhelming. I hope the knowledge and insight I gain will help me to make more sense of everything, and therefore I can be a better-informed intern.

The action portion in the afternoon should be fun also. Actually taking your own knowledge and opinions and publicizing them can be a very powerful thing. We all tend to want to be heard and calls to your Legislators and letters to the editor are great ways to get your voice out there. The more people who speak up, the louder the voice and I think that is exactly what needs to be done when it comes to health care reform.

Please stay tuned for an update next week about my trek up north and my experience from my first, and probably not last, Live Action Camp.

No comments: